Thursday, December 13, 2012

They controlled the food network?

This week has been a whirlwind with Social Studies -- moving from explorers to discussing the Three Worlds and moving right along to the introduction of slavery by our good ol' pal Columbus. In studying the 3 worlds we dove right into learning about West African Empires -- Ghana, Mali and Songhay. Quite a fascinating little trip into history talking about salt for gold trade networks and taxation. I must say, I'm mostly posting this to boast the sweet map I drew of Africa so we could study together. As the unit progressed we added to it -- summarizing our information to make the map a study tool tracking the rise and fall of each empire as well as the region in which they grew to power. Pretty impressive I think.. :)
        (I suppose I should say things were going well        until I graded my assessments. The majority did well -- but one student made me laugh out loud with her response. When asked to "List two reasons that led to rise and growth of the empires." She wrote, "They controlled the food network."  I'm sorry I was unaware that Bobby Flay had anything to do with West Africa, but far be it from me to say he wasn't there in 1100. ) :)


In other news -- the long division hurricane has hit 5th grade and it's going surprisingly well. Estimation is still an area that needs improvement and with the Common Core Standards -- estimation and rounding are ALWAYS important in the lessons. We have introduced a multitude of strategies for solving division that allow the students options in solving -- however I notice they all like the standard algorithm. Cut and dry and easy to remember -- especially when you have a nifty little mnemonic device to remind you.


Let's see -- to scatter this update a bit more - I, along with my aide, have been trying to help the students better understand and remember the different parts of speech. As a class I've noticed that they often confuse them -- especially "The Big 3" -- which I feel shouldn't be happening. Verbs, Nouns and Adjectives are VERY different and definitely have different jobs in a sentence. In an effort to create a reference point for the kids to check into when they need assistance, we've been working on this anchor chart!

It's been a great time to just quote School House Rock songs when defining different parts of speech. They don't know that I'm being unoriginal -- they just think I'm clever. Oh the trickery. :)


And for your weekly dose of humor:

Student: "Ms. Brown I want to be a chiropractor when I grow up"
Me: "Well that sounds like a good choice!"
Student: "...and a substitute teacher because I like being in the classroom!"
Me: "You don't just want to be a regular teacher instead?"
Student: "No, because I have to be a chiropractor -- I'm going to take over Dr. Moss's office -- I started going there this year and I will take over after I go to school. I'm going to go to school -- but I can't remember how to say it."
Me: "College? Medical School?"
Student: "No... how do you say, I-O-W-A?"
Me: "Iowa..."
Student: "Yeah... I'm going there for 4 years."


Always a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment