Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Stellar Solar System Study

 






Who would've thought that here I'd be teaching the unit I wrote for student teaching last spring? Well, if you asked me -- I did. 5th grade is my love and my "sweet spot." However, having it become an actual reality is another coin. I have a unit, that I wrote and I'm proud of --  that I get to teach AGAIN! I am finally understanding what it might be like to be a 2nd year teacher -- having taught something before and knowing what works/doesn't -- what the bugs are and how I can avoid issues. I still have the same excitement because this is an entirely NEW group of kids who haven't heard my stories, jokes, and songs.

We did our intro work (or the blah blah blah section as I call it ;) ) and introduced the planet line up today. I'm glad that My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nachos is still a useful tool. Memorizing the order of the planets has never sounded so delicious -- and asking "Why isn't Pluto a planet?" is a question on everyone's mind. -- They refuse to let go of it until I personally address each of their inquiries. I set up some hype for the day we study eclipses -- needless to say, I'm excited when they start each day asking, 'Do we get to watch the eclipse today?!"

Oh the joys of teaching young minds.


Here is the video we watched today -- if you teach Science of any kind, I recommend his videos!


Rockets Away...

No comments:

Post a Comment