Sunday, November 4, 2012

Spooky Celebrations

Halloween has come and gone -- and I have to say I'm glad to say farewell for another year. I've never been a person who LOVED Halloween -- it never seemed like a real holiday and I never really got into celebrating much for it. However, I know I'm in the minority here and especially for kids -- it's a big deal.
I learned that Halloween is a big deal  for 5th graders at my school. This big deal of a holiday means that the day is packed with activities for the kids and way too many sweets! The day began like every other -- although I adorned some black cat ears to complete my WAY too creative costume. (I'm sure I'll get more creative over time). After 1st hour the kids returned in full costume ready for the annual costume contest. We paraded over to the Activity Center and they were separated into categories - Scary, Funny, Sports/Historical, and the like.















They presented their costumes to our tough panel of judges -- Mr. Cook, Mrs. Clore, and Ms. Reed. They had the impossible job of deciding the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place for each category and the winners were given baskets of Halloween goodies (glow sticks, pencils, slime, etc). After this excitement we segmented into class groups and began the rotations. Each 5th grade teacher set up in a classroom/computer lab/AC and planned an activity to do with each group. My group was in the AC, so we played musical chairs and Halloween games in the gym. The kids loved just running around and being out of class -- so we had a blast! We took a brief break for lunch and then went right back into rotations. At the end of the day we went back to our homerooms and had our individual "parties." We watched Monsters Inc and passed out treats.


I have to say, for only giving my class a 1 day notice of the "party" --- they definitely all pulled through on bringing in treats. I was astounded when my counter began to fill with treats of all varieties.  I felt sick to my stomach just looking at their places after everything was passed out. So much sugar -- at least it was at the end of the day and it only comes once a year, right?


For the kiddos it was truly a Happy Halloween - I was drained of energy by the time I got home -- it was definitely an early bedtime for me! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment