Sunday, November 25, 2012

Projects and Parent-Teacher Conferences.

Well the past two weeks have gone by in a whirlwind -- with 1/2 days and 12 hour days, I am amazed that (a) I'm still standing and (b) it's almost THANKSGIVING!

Two weeks ago - the middle school hosted a Social Studies Parent Night to showcase the cool things we've been doing! My class showed off their leaf burst paintings and myths we'd written while studying Native American settlements. The leaf project was super fun -- we got to go on a little scavenger hunt for the perfect leaf -- right outside my class  (Have I mentioned I LOVE having a door to the outside in my room?) -- then we painted and pasteled and watercolored our little hearts out. The end result was really cool, and the kids had a blast doing it!



 After this, we studied myths written by a variety of Native American Groups. The kids were split into groups, reading different myths, and had to report
            What the myth was about
             What they didn't understand that they were trying to explain
              How they explained it
As odd as it was for them to wrap their minds around the fact that these tribes wrote stories to explain things like fire, sharks, and rainbows -- they really enjoyed the fantastical elements of the myths.
After our group studies -- we tried our hand at writing our own myths explaining the seasons. I trickiest part was to have them erase their knowledge of "The earth goes around the sun ...that's why we have seasons." After many mini-conferences with them -- the end result was AWESOME! So much creativity -- so many different reasons, gods, and animals that could've brought us our seasons. When we put them on display -- the parents were just as impressed as I was! My class is awesome and I love when I get to showcase that to everyone. :) SOCIAL STUDIES NIGHT = SUCCESS!


        And now, for the main attraction and what should've been the LONG part of this post: Parent Teacher Conferences. Wednesday and Thursday were the two days, that every teacher either dreads or anticipates. I can attest that any "dread" only stems from the preparation that is necessary for the conference and not the conference itself. We spent a few weeks compiling work, getting folders together, setting goals, and making sure the kids were ready to conference with their parents. That's right... the kids do the conferencing. My school participates in Student-led conferences -- every student selects the work they want to showcase, they're given a checklist and they sit down and talk to their parents about how their doing in school. My job, is to monitor, add some minor details and presto! We have a conference!
       It was 2 very long days...but I have now been swayed to the support team for student led conferences. Having my students explain to their parents their triumphs and turmoils in school is a lot cooler for both me and them than having me explain how they're doing. The students were so well practiced introducing me to their parents,
       
          Student:  "Miss Brown... uhh this is um, Bradley.."
          Parent:    "Bradley?! Since when do you call me Bradley?"
           Me :      "That would be my fault -- I told them I couldn't call you Mom/Dad -- so they needed  to introduce you by first name." :)

After introductions they chose a table, and began by going through their grade goal sheet -- setting new goals, with their parents, for the next marking period. On each table are 4 cups: red, yellow, green, and blue -- representing the 4 core subjects. If the parent has a question for the teacher -- they place the corresponding cup on top of the stack and then we come over and answer their questions. My experience was a little different since I was meeting many of these parents for the first time -- so I sat down and chatted with most of them. It was fun and really great to meet them and talk to them about the great things their son/daughter has been doing and all of the exciting stuff we are about to do!
Conferences have been conquered -- and I'm only 2 1/2 days away from Thanksgiving break -- Hooray!






No comments:

Post a Comment