Friday, October 19, 2012

Things coming full circle (literally)

So, this week has been something else. We ended MEAP, finally! We said goodbye in a proper way, by relaxing and doing mindless things for the end of our day on Wednesday. I'm so proud of most of my class -- they really focused and tried their best on the test and I could tell they were wiped at the end -- so I rewarded them with a movie afternoon -- their choice with snacks.

The week was looking up, Thursday flew by and I stayed after to help the counselor sort and organize all of her MEAP materials so that she didn't have to work alone. We stayed at school until about 6:15 and I hopped in my car, exhausted, to make the trek home. On my way home, this happened:

 Yeah, I spun off the highway, crashing my car through a fence off the road. It was insane, spinning in multiple circles, then finally coming to a stop...safely, on a dirt road off the highway. I came away uninjured, but couldn't say the same for my car. I paid $120 today to make it "drive-able" and the estimate to fix it is around $2500... quite the blow on my very first payday. wah wah.

However, I woke up to a shiny Friday morning, which meant the end of the week and my first payday! As usual, the day FLEW by and after telling my students that I was in a car accident and cannot make it to their pageants and bowling matches this weekend...they were devastated...but understanding, when I told them I would do my best to make it to the band concert on Monday. :)

I realized that I couldn't be mad about my car, after over-hearing this exchange between two students. One was helping the other complete his Social Studies homework:
        Student 1: "Alright, I'll give you a hint, it is outside and it rhymes with hockey..."
        Student 2: "Hockey..Hockey... ROCKY! Rocky Mountains!"
       Student 1: "Right!"
      Student 1: "Alright, I'll give you a hint about this one too.. when you go for a job, you have to                       fill this out..."
       Student 2: "Paperwork...?"
       Student 1: "No, you turn in an ap..."
       Student 2: "Application! The Application Mountains?"
       Student 1: "Uhh... no, it's a hint -- not the answer."

I love them.
In other news... this also happened last night:

Way to go Tigers! Sweeping the Yankees to bring the World Series to Detroit! Sadly, I was spinning my car off the road when they actually did it...but I hear it was exciting!

Lastly, when I got home today from picking up my battered and bruised car. I set all my school stuff down, refusing to look at it until tomorrow and checked the mail. On my porch was a glorious blessing -- a care package from my mother and one from Ideeli/my sister.

With a World Series shot for my favorite team, in my home state, and a care package full of goodies on my porch -- I can't be upset. I have a functioning car for the weekend and I don't have to waste money on a rental, my limbs are all still attached to my body and I walked away from a pretty gnarly accident with only a few cuts on my hands. I'm sitting mighty pretty right about now and I can only be happy and thankful for the things that are going my way.


Here's to a great weekend.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment