Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Big Move

So, I did it. In one day, I moved across the state, checked out my class, planned for the first day and made it through. :) I am still in awe of the fact that I am actually teaching my very own class! I have inherited an awesome classroom library -- my back wall is just BOOKSHELVES. If you know me, you know this is a dream come true.

I'm still in the process of decorating, so hopefully once things start falling into place, I'll be able to post pictures and really get the ball rolling.

I have done a few crafts with the kids and will post up some photos of those once things become a little bit less like a tornado. Each day seems to run through my fingers as we move from subject to subject, fit in missed library time and I discover the amazing things my kiddos can do. I'm the definition of a busy bee right now and each night I come home more tired than the last.

Let me be clear: these are NOT complaints. I am head over heels in love with my class, and my school is so awesome. Everyone has been so helpful in making my transition as smooth as it can be -- entering 4 weeks into school!


 I received these flowers from my awesome parents on my first day! I'm so spoiled!
 
I found this sign when I was out picking up last minute things. It seemed to fit my mindset for this year and my situation. So it has become my sort of classroom philosophy, the kids noticed it immediately -- right on top of the bookshelf :)

        
For a bit of humor:
     On the first day, I was trying to get to know my students through their daily journal prompt. They had a list of questions to fill out and at the end of writing I called on them and had them tell me their name and at least one of the answers to a question they'd written. Here is one of the best responses I receieved:

             Me: "Alright, what is your favorite food?"
             Student: "Ahh, that would definitely be a 6 oz. sirloin."
             Me: "Wow, that's specific..."
            Student: "I also prefer it medium rare"

No comments:

Post a Comment