Saturday, February 2, 2013

Running Circles around Lit Circles.

 
Today is the exciting and long awaited day!
5th grade begins Blood on the River today! I've decided to take on the task of launching my group into self directed book clubs to work through this book. Coming off of our study of the establishment of Jamestown in Social Studies, I picked this book to dovetail what we've been studying.

I've spent the last 3 weeks preparing all of the materials, folders, comprehension questions, vocabulary, and projects that will accompany this book over the next 5-6 weeks. We got off to a delay with days off these past two weeks -- but we're off to a bang!
The kids like it... they're actually all participating and discussing what they read. I love peeking in and listening to them talk and work through the book on their own.

Each day begins with a task page that outlines what they need to accomplish in the circle for that day. The kids have already read, so they're ready to discuss --
I give them some possible discussion topics for the chapters assigned, and off they go.

Walking by hearing, "I think that word is an insult because in the book it says he whispered it."  or "How would you feel if you were stuck on a boat with people you barely knew?"
AMAZING.

I love literature and love watching students love literature. 



No comments:

Post a Comment